These guidelines are for members who wish to apply for MySC accreditation or been nominated by the committee to apply for MySC accreditation.
Accreditation in MySC are built on three pillars.
- Accreditation is recognition by peers, Industry agencies and International.
- Accreditation recognises the experience, skills, achievements and contributions and not the format.
- Accreditation is open to any Full Member to apply or be nominated by the Accreditation Committee.
These cornerstones not only provide a foundation for Accreditation within the society, they provide a framework for the pursuit of excellence by an individual cinematographer. A framework that begins with membership of the MySC and accompanies a cinematographer throughout their career.
From within the Accredited membership, a committee consisting of 3 Accredited MySC , 2 Film Directors, 1 Academician and 1 Foreign Cinematographers will view and vote on all applications submitted for consideration of Accreditation. On the recommendation of the Accreditation committee, the MySC Executive committee may then grant Accreditation to an applicant, a member whose overall calibre of cinematography has been judged consistently high.
Once a cinematographer becomes Accredited they will be allowed to use the letters MySC after their name. Permission to use these letters represents the highest level of achievement within the MySC and cinematography in general. Their use should be seen as both a local and an international recognition of skill.
With such recognition comes responsibilities. The Accredited member represents their society wherever they are in the world and continues to strive for the very highest level of practice and craft. They will be expected to participate within their society where ever possible, be it on committees, through seminars, demonstrations and other society events.
Accreditation carries with it full voting rights for society events such as awards ceremonies and other instances as deemed appropriate by the MySC Executive committee.
The current criteria for application and nomination are as follows.
- The applicant must be endorsed by two existing Accredited members within the society or nominated to apply by the Accreditation committee.
- The applicant must be a Malaysian citizen.
- The applicant must be currently employed as a Director of Photography and not retired or nominated by the Accreditation Committee.
- The applicant must have been a full member of the MySC for a minimum of three years or nominated by the Accreditation Committee and be in good standing.
5.The applicant must be over 21 years old.
6.The applicant has worked for 10 years as director of photography / cinematographer and involved at least 5 film that was screened in cinema, once nominated and won local and international film festivals, or
- 10 years as director of photography and involved 15 Telemovie or drama that has aired on TV and was nominated and won local and international festivals, or
- 10 years as director of photography and involved 15 TVC that have aired on TV and was nominated and won local and international festivals, or
- 10 years as director of photography and involved 15 documentary which was aired on TV and was nominated and won local and international festivals, or
- 10 years as director of photography and involved 20 MTV have aired on TV and was nominated and won local and international festivals.
Members who consider they fulfill these requirements may apply for MySC Accreditation following the guidelines presented below.
Each application for accreditation is considered at length. Each is judged on its own merit, rather than in comparison to other applications. It is not a competition. However applicants should enter only their best work, ensuring that their submission truly reflects both their range and their skill. The committee look for your ability to tell the story, your creative use of light, whether it be artificial or the light available to you in the situation. Successful applicants in this area have shown an uncanny ability to use the surroundings available to them, both in light and composition for a creative result.
Each application must be accompanied by letters of endorsement from two MySC Accredited members or by a letter of nomination from the MySC Accreditation committee, If an applicant has received such a nomination or invitation. Of the two endorsement letters only one may be from an Accreditation committee member.
Each Application must fill in the Accreditation Application form below and check off all relevant application requirements.
Along with the letter(s) of endorsement or nomination, the following must be included in the application.
- A full and up to date CV.
- A link to the applicants website if applicable.
- A showreel demonstrating the range of the applicants work. This reel should be no longer than 10 minutes in duration.
- 2 x full copies of long form projects be they Theatrical Feature / TV film projects, TVepisodes, Feature length Documentaries etc. If an applicants work is in other genres then a suggestion is 10 x commercials, 10 x music videos etc.
Where possible examples of work should be submitted as H.264 files for uploading to Vimeo. Use the following settings to get the maximum quality upload for Vimeo.
- Bitrate Encoding
- VBR, 2 pass
- Target Bitrate [Mbps]
- 720p HD video: 4 — 10 Mbps
- 1080p HD video: 10 — 20 Mbps SD video: 2 — 5 Mbps
- Maximum Bitrate (Mbps)
- 720p HD video: 4 — 10 Mbps 1080p HD video: 10 — 20 Mbps SD video: 2 — 5 Mbps
Basic Audio Settings
- Audio Codec
- Sample Rate
- Audio Quality